If you want to create an iTunes “Subscribe” button on your website, here’s what I did for
The Overwhelmed Brain podcast:
1. Create or find a graphic that represents a Subscribe button. Here’s one I created for my own site:
If you don’t know how to create the graphic, just steal mine, or find one online – there are tons (do a Google image search for “Subscribe on iTunes”)
2. Go to the iTunes Linkmaker here (US link): https://linkmaker.itunes.apple.com/us/
Locate your podcast, and copy the HTML it gives you for the link.
3. In your WordPress control panel, click on Appearance…Widgets
4. Drag the Text widget into Sidebar (or where ever you want to place the subscribe button)
5. Paste that copied link into the Text widget. It should look similar to this:
<a href=”https://itunes.apple.com/…/your-podcast-name…/idxxxxxxxxx…” target=”itunes_store”>Your Podcast Name</a>
6. After you paste that, you will need to modify and add some code. Modify the code as such:
<a href=”https://itunes.apple.com/…/your-podcast-name…/idxxxxxxxxx…” target=”itunes_store”style=”display:inline-block;overflow:hidden;background:url(http://www.yourwebsite.com/your_image_url_goes_here.jpg) no-repeat;width:170px;height:61px;”></a>
7. Obviously, replace “yourwebsite.com/your_image_url_goes_here.jpg” with the entire URL of the graphic you should have already uploaded to your WordPress site (WordPress will give you the URL to that graphic – that’s what you want).
I apologize if this process is complicated, but if you follow it word for word (except for the specifics of your site and graphic), you should be OK.
BONUS: If you are an iTunes affiliate, and you grab your link from the iTunes Linkmaker while you are logged into iTunes, the URL that you use for your subscribe button will contain your affiliate code. This is a double bonus actually, because anyone who goes through your link, if they purchase anything from iTunes, you’ll get a commission. The second part of this bonus is that this method when you use your affiliate link, will automatically open up the iTunes application on the person’s computer, if they have it installed. This saves them from having to click on another link that reads Open in iTunes.
If you have any questions or compliments, please comment below! And if this article helped you, then click on any google ad on my site to help support this site. Thank you!